Posts tagged Fascism
Posts tagged Fascism
In head-scratching news of the day:
The Rick Santorum presidential bid isn’t going so well, but it probably didn’t need this: a report from the Italian magazine Oggi, as aggregated by the Daily Beast, giving a visit to some confused and somewhat outraged communists in the old country who don’t really understand what their cousin is doing running a socially conservative campaign for leader of the free world.
Santorum has been open about his family fleeing Mussolini in the past, but Oggi notes that a great deal of their apprehension about fascism came from the fact that they were a well-known group of “red communists to the core.”
Mediaite makes an excellent distinction in their commentary: It’s important to use this kind of information as a means of getting to know a candidate or their colorful family history versus an outright attack. It’s tough to imagine Santorum warmly embracing this side of his family or their immigration story, though. Perhaps he could make an offering in the form of a sweater vest?
This is what I thought of when I read the headline. Turns out it’s pretty much the truth:
In Benton Harbor, a mostly black and poor town with an emergency manager, folks are just waking up to an order the manager issued on May 4 that restricts access to the public waterfront park. Jean Klock Park was deeded to Benton Harbor in 1917 “in perpetuity.” Part of it has been turned into a luxury golf resort, with the help of an economic development group that until recently included the sponsor of the emergency manager law on its board of directors.
Under the new order, first reported by the Michigan Messenger, people will only be able to use the park between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. What’s more, emergency manager Joseph Harris has decreed: “The annual season during which Jean Klock Park is open begins on each May 1 and ends on the following September 30, inclusive.” That would appear to mean that “in perpetuity” could stop in the fall and pick up again in the spring.
Friends of Jean Klock Park say it had been open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. year-round. Park advocate Clellen Bury has posted a letter to Mr. Harris suggesting that the park has been closed off because of preparation for upcoming athletic events, including a Senior PGA tournament next year. The new order violates both the deeding of the park and the city’s lease with the golf resort, the advocate writes. The message includes this: “As my tax dollars are being used to pay for your salary, I would appreciate a full and prompt response to the concerns and points I have raised in this letter.”
But Mr. Harris need answer to no one in Benton Harbor. He has stripped the local elected officials of all but their most ceremonial powers. Benton Harbor is now run by one state-appointed person.
This is not a democracy. This is a fiefdom.
[All emphasis, comments in brackets mine]
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays. [Hmmmm….]
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of “need.” The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc. [No national outcry over torture, or the treatment of Bradley Manning]
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc. [Paging Rep. Peter King, Gov. Walker, Gov. Daniels, Gov. Kasich, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, etc…]
4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized. [Our defense budget is considered a sacred cow, consuming, by FY 2012, $670.6 billon]
5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.[Same-sex marriage and abortion are hot election topics for 2012…]
6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.[Everyone’s guilty, but Fox is the worst.]
7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government’s policies or actions. [Republican Jesus is drastically different than biblical Jesus. Just sayin’]
9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite. [How many politicians, including sitting governors *cough Walker cough* are bowing to the will of the Koch brothers?]
10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed. [Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, etc…]
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked. [Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, etc… The academic elite aren’t to be praised any longer. The term is now a slur bandied about by adherents to the cult of the amateur.]
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations. [DHS says what? PATRIOT Act who?]
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders. [Again, with the Koch brothers, the Tea Party…]
14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections. [Look up the new bill in New Hampshire to deny voting rights to college students.]
let’s count them, shall we?
Shit, I thought this was the GOP Contract
On To America…
Warning: May trigger some people!
Welcome to the new world order.
Fully nude strip searches of females are being forcefully conducted by male police officers, against policy, and in Abu Ghraib torture style, in Stark County Ohio. The women are video-taped and left naked for up to six hours.
Near the beginning of the video you can see the black male officer helping to strip Hope’s panties off of her while another male officer holds her down. The woman’s bra and panties are removed along with all her clothing, exposing her bare naked breasts, ass, and vagina in front of the male officers. She is eventually completely stripped and left naked and handcuffed on the floor.
All this happened merely because 911 was called for help on Hope’s behalf when she was hurt in a fight. Hope accidentally showed her dead sister’s ID to police, she keeps it with her in remembrance of her sister. So far, five women have come forward with similar strip search experiences at this Ohio jail, see link near bottom.
Hope Steffey’s ‘Abu Ghraib’ Treatment at the Stark County Jail:
Stark County Strip Searches
It all began in Stark County, Ohio when Hope Steffey was assaulted by a cousin and another cousin called 911 for assistance. When the officer arrived, Ms. Steffey accidentally handed over her deceased sister´s license, which she kept for sentimental reasons. She immediately noticed the mistake and gave the officer her own identification and asked for her sister´s to be returned. The officer refused to return her sister´s license. The officer ran a check on Ms. Steffey´s license and found no infractions, but continued to treat her as though she were the perpetrator of the crime, instead of the victim.
Ms. Steffey states she begged for the return of her sister´s license until Officer Gurlea lost his patience and shouted, “shut up about your dead sister.” When Ms. Steffey pointed at the officer´s pocket, which held her sister´s id, and said, “she was here, she was someone”, Officer Gurlea threw her face down on the hood of his patrol car, chipping one of her teeth. And according to documents filed by Hope and Greg Steffey with the United States District Court in Cleveland, Officer Gurlea then threw Steffey to the ground. Although Ms. Steffey´s cousin repeatedly reminded the officer that Steffey was the victim and had been knocked unconscious in the previous assault, Officer Gurlea handcuffed Steffey and put her into the back of his patrol car, refusing her medical care.
Hope Steffey was then taken to the county jail and forcibly strip-searched by 6 to 7 male and female deputies, despite Stark County´s own policy which states that a strip search must be conducted by a same sex officer. She was left in a cell for 6 hours with no clothing or even a blanket and eventually wrapped herself in toilet tissue for warmth and modesty. She was not allowed a phone call or medical attention and when she was later taken to booking, she was given only a small weighted vest to cover her nudity. She was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
Is there video the Stark County Sheriff doesn’t want you to see?
Strip search case prompts 5th woman to come forward:
The police state grows nearer as our freedoms, civil rights, and liberties, guaranteed under the United States Constitution, are whittled away by overwhelmingly powerful and excessive government. Please take a moment to educate yourself, watch this video of Congressman Ron Paul today:
I think some groups in our culture have actively embraced the fact that we’re living in a fascist police state. The rest of us are just in denial.
Dammit, Ohio, what the hell is wrong is with you?! Especially Stark County.