Cognitive Dissonance

"Democracy! Bah! When I hear that I reach for my feather boa!" - Allen Ginsberg

Posts tagged Plutocracy

1,108 notes

Do the riots surprise you?

whatfreshhellisthis:

We in Britain live in a country where the richest 10% are now 100 times better off than the poorest.

We live in a country where brutal cuts and enforced austerity measures are being put in place by our government- cuts and measures that hit the poorest, most vulnerable sections of society hardest.

We live in a country where there have been 333 deaths in police custody since 1998- and not a single conviction of any police officer has been had for any of them.

We live in a country where social mobility is worse than any other developed country.

Look at the context of the country we live in, at the way our entitled treat the dispossessed, the culture of institutionalised and government-supported classism, racism, heterosexism, cissexism, sexism and ableism.

If you’re surprised that in the last year we’ve erupted- the student protests, the university occupations, the strikes, the marches, the unrest on the streets- then you haven’t been paying attention.

Pay attention, beyond the burning cars and the sensationalist headlines of the riots, to the rot that surrounds them and lays dry kindling for each spark to set aflame.

Our leaders in the U.S. would do well to pay attention. Blaming hooligans with nothing to do is specious. How about examining how it got to this point? Review the above.

In 2005, a confidential Citibank memo leaked calling Canada, the UK and the US the “new plutocracy,” but warned the peasants may get unhappy at prolonged economic inequality. Imagine that. The richest 1% cannot ignore the other 99% for long. 

I’ve said it before. Anyone who claims we don’t have class warfare in this country, or other societies who’ve embraced neoliberalism, is either naïve or winning. 

(via darachtheboat)

Filed under london riots inequality politics unemployment plutocracy injustice

34 notes

The Plutocrat's Coup d'Etat, Their Republican Allies and Their Democratic Enablers

For thirty years, now, Republicans have been yammering about small government, deficits, the glories of the free market, and the incompetence and wastefulness of government.

It’s all been a big lie, part of a well funded and cleverly executed coup d’etat, designed to enable the ultra rich and corporations to literally take power out of the hands of government and money out of the pockets of individual citizens.

Democrats have either actively participated in the coup or watched in near silence.  The press has been passively playing the part of a mute stenographer. The basis of this coup is simple – money has become the lingua franca of political power, eclipsing the vote.

They’ve just about pulled it off.

Flashback from February of this year. This is one of many, many warnings over the past few years.

Filed under Plutocrats Plutocracy Republican republicans politics rich free market power

52 notes

Plutocracy Reborn: U.S. Wealth Inequality Gap Largest since 1928

The greater the disparity in wealth between the very rich and everyone else, the more unstable an economy becomes. Our nation has now created a larger gap in the distribution of wealth than the massive chasm that helped fuel the Great Depression. In 1928, one year before the global economic collapse, the wealthiest .001% of the U.S. population owned 892 times more than 90% of the nation’s citizens. Today, the top .001% of the U.S. population owns 976 times more than the entire bottom 90%. This is not sustainable, and makes for a very volatile economy. It would appear that the American empire is about to crash.

I’ve been saying this for awhile now…

(Source: facebook.com, via savagemike)

Filed under Plutocracy rich Rich versus Poor we're fucked with a capital fuck American Empire inequality economic violence